Thursday 6 October 2011

Directors of music videos - Looking at Arctic Monkeys.

Whilst presenting to the class my progress on my blog my teacher raised the point as to why it was that I found that many music videos started the same. I decided from here that I would look at the directors used by different artists and bands and see if they often used the same directors and if it was therefore the directors idea to have the many of the bands videos the same or if it was person choice by the band, this would allow me to see how the music video is used to fit conventions of each genre. 


Arctic Monkey videos: I found out that this band used the same director for three of their music videos. I went on to find out if Richard Ayoade (the director) had kept similar parts in each music video or if they had completely changed. These are the videos he had produced -  Fluorescent Adolescent, Crying Lightning and Cornerstone. What I found significant when hearing these titles of song was that the first song was that two of the song were on their third album and the other song (fluorescent adolescent) was on their second album. 

Fluorescent Adolescent, which was the first music video that Ayoade produced for the band was a narrative music video, without any element of other types of music video, whereas, the other two music videos, both of which are on the same album are instead performance based videos. They both have different elements of conceptual videos as 'Crying Lightning' has an almost fairy tale element to it. Cornerstone is just of Alex Turner the lead singer, singing, instead of having the whole band performing. 










From looking at all three of these videos which use the same director but all differ I have decided that with this band there first few videos were different but as the band progresses I notice more similar videos and I think this has to do with the band gaining their own sense of style and branding and therefore sticking with an image which they produce.

No comments:

Post a Comment