Wednesday 12 October 2011

Initial ideas

For my initial ideas I decided that I needed to start planning the filming section of my coursework.  I am starting to come up with some ideas now as I have decided that I will be filming a performance and conceptual based music video, focusing on the conceptual side of it in order to try and give some meaning to the lyrics through the video but without having a narrative.
  • I have decided that the conceptual based element will be filmed outside. 
  • My performance based element I am undecided on at the moment, for where I want to film it, I can either have the band inside or have them outside in the setting of the concept. I'm undecided on this element as bands vary between each of these depending on the band and I'm therefore debating which of the ideas to choose. 
  • For my concept I have decided from the lyrics of the songs that the song is about a relationship, however it is focusing on how things just over complicate when they should be simple. I decided that because of this sense of simplicity that the song contains I want to have the couple outside, just the two of them to canote the simplicity. 
  • I noticed that in the other videos of the band they have stuffed animals, I couldn't find a reason for this and therefore decided that it must be something that the band like. Because of this, I am now considering that the couple wear masks, in order to also canote the complication in the song. I am unsure on this idea, however when I am imagining my music video I do like the look of them wearing animal masks and I think this will also go well with their stuffed animal idea as I don't want stuffed animals. 
  • I want the couple to be in a kind of Alice to Wonderland theme, I will set up a nice little table and chairs and have them with tea and a teapot, I decided on the tea as having a cup of tea is quite simple as well and I think that this idea will go well with my idea. 
  • What I think I'm going to do next is start story boarding and see if the ideas all fit together.
  • I am also going to go and take some practice shots of setting to see if I do like the surroundings and if I think that this idea will work. 
  • I am affraid that my idea will cross into a narrative style but I will have to be ready for this and I might have to quickly research further into narrative music videos. 
Overall I think that my ideas are slowly coming together but I need to hurry up with my ideas as it gets darker and darker as the winter draws closer and therefore my timing for filming will be come ever more limited if my idea remains outside in the woods. I have to consider this and try and find different types of lighting so that my set doesn't get too dull if the sun isn't out and the lighting is dark. I will have to consider other things such as props for this idea to but I think I will go deeper into the prop and equipment issue a little later on, on another post once my ideas are forming together and I am ready to film. 

No comments:

Post a Comment